Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Wandering around shivering.

After yesterday's rain and mild temperatures, I was surprised to wake up this morning shivering! This seems to be the coldest time of year on the Atlantic coast, and it usually stays cold until late April. The drift ice comes into shore and then the winds carry that cold into our homes and it seems into our bones. I can't wait for summer.
Last summer I made a decision to upgrade my bicycle. I have been riding since I was a boy of 6, and had continued to pursue riding as a hobby off and on since reaching adulthood. Having had one bike stolen and having lost one in a fire, I finally had one given to me several years ago. I rode casually every summer, but my knees hurt, my backside REALLY hurt, and I found it to require great effort. A friend of mine suggested the bike was not the right size for my body, so I purchased a new one in September. It was infinitely better than the old one, and I found myself once again thinking of doing a tour like I have seen so many others do. Every year, countless riders travel across Canada or within geographic regions, such as the prairie provinces or across Ontario. I have decided to ride from Cape Breton, where I live now, to New Brunswick where I was born. Of course this will take much planning which I am already in the process of, and training, which will begin once the snow is gone. I am considering seeking sponsorship (to offset cost) and riding for a cause. Once the details are in place for that I will make it public knowledge.
Meanwhile I'm shivering.

~Still wandering...

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to comment on anything you see here, I'd love to hear from you. Please feel free to let me know what you think.