Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Mid-Winter Ramblings...

I’m restless.

Today is February 16, just a week and a half from March, or as a friend pointed out today, “Just 26 days from daylight saving time!” As I sit here at my computer, the sun shining through the window feels extremely hot, a total contradiction to the severely cold wind chill outside.

When I began blogging, I created a word document where I could keep my ideas for future blogs and work on them until they were completed. In some cases this has been successful while in other cases it just sucked. But here on this day, when it’s really too cold to go snowshoeing or play with stuff in the garage, and I can’t seem to concentrate enough to read, I thought I’d compile some of those ideas into a more complete state and share them with you.


Following up on a previous post’s theme of Meditation, serendipity has once again come to visit, and slap me into awareness.

Since that post was added to my blog, it seems every magazine I read, every internet forum, every You-Tube video, has had some reference to Meditation. I’ve been on this planet long enough to know that when these things happen, I’m supposed to pay attention!

Before Christmas, probably as early as October or November, I had come across a series of You Tube videos about the life of Jazz drummer Jerry Granelli. I met Granelli once several years ago when he performed in Sydney NS. While his drumming was beyond anything I’d witnessed in person, he was an extremely humble and gracious man. At the time I met him, and for several years after, I had no idea of his enviable history.

Jerry is also known and admired by my friend Roger Strange whom I have looked up to since I met him in 1985. Roger also has an enviable history dating back to the late 1950s. He has worked and studied with an impressive line of big names and has many amusing anecdotes which he is more than happy to share over coffee or on breaks when he performs.

Through our discussions of drums and drummers, Roger has been a great source of education to me. I have learned the essence of drumming “in the moment,” to play spontaneously, reacting to the stimuli surrounding us. I began to wish I had more opportunities to play Jazz, to have the freedom of spontaneity. The kind of music I play is quite structured, the patterns well-known to all musicians and audience alike. There is little freedom for improvisation.

Zen is like Jazz; there is no time other than this micro-second known as “now,” and even in the process of saying it, it is gone. Zen teaches that life cannot be planned. While one can prepare for possibilities and/or eventualities, life is seldom that simple, and situations and people change and with those changes our plans must also change.

Life also cannot be changed after the fact. That’s generally a “given” in our society where statements like “you can’t change the past” become so commonplace, we often don’t stop to recognize the inherent wisdom in them.

Remembering back to the day I saw Granelli perform, I was carried away by the way he played. He did not try to recapture past moments through repetition, nor did he “set up” the moments yet to come... he played, eyes closed, head back, so completely in the moment; a part of it.

It was during an e-mail conversation with Roger that I was reminded that within the restrictions of the songs I play, there is plenty of room to play in the moment; the fills I play at the end of verses and choruses, the extra long intros when a vocalist isn’t prepared to start on time, the additional chorus or guitar solo when the crowd is really into our music... Yeah, I play Rock music with a Jazz attitude; flexible, in the moment.

Part of today’s restlessness is the sunshine making me miss my bicycle. As you know, I am quite passionate about that; I’d say it comes second only to my drumming.

I had become involved with Velo Cape Breton in late 2008, just before I bought my Norco Mountain bike. I knew right away I needed the structure of a club to keep me motivated and the educational value was priceless. I proceeded to take Can-Bike 1 and 2 courses, and am planning to go for my instructor’s certification as soon as practically possible.

One of the most important issues for me is bicycle safety. I’m not sure why, but motorists seem to have a grievance against cyclists over fifteen years of age. As long as you’re a child on a bike, it's acceptable, but as soon as you’re old enough to drive a car, you’re expected to not ride a bike. That to me seems ludicrous, and Velo Cape Breton, as well as many other clubs, both formal and informal, is proof of this.

While doing an internet search one evening looking for safety tips, I came across the Ride of Silence, and was immediately drawn to it. “This is something that makes a very clear statement, without saying a word,” I thought. I brought it to the attention of Velo Cape Breton’s Jacques Coté, and asked if it was something he thought should be looked at for this area.

Fast forward to early May 2010, and Jacques had taken it upon himself to have a Ride of Silence organized and advertised. As soon as I was aware that it was proceeding, I e-mailed all my friends and talked it up as much as I could. The ride drew over sixty riders of all age groups and from every walk of life and riding style, from casual infrequent riders to hardcore racing/triathlon riders.

This year’s ride will take place on May 18th beginning at 7:00 PM at the Sydney River Superstore, 1225 King’s Road Sydney River NS. Details will be coming forthwith, but we are clearly still in the initial stages at this point.


Finally for today, my thoughts turn frequently to my friends of the late ‘90s; friends with whom I would meet at a local coffee shop and discuss several topics for hours on end. We seemed to create a “learning vortex” within our circle; they, still in University with their minds alive and on fire, I with my many years experience in “real world” activities, and our mutual interests and open-minded desire to know more about everything. We shared knowledge and all became better for it.

I miss those friends a great deal. The human mind needs stimulation, and becomes weak, stagnant without it. This is what we gave each other; often expressing several points of view and sifting through the facts and fantasy to find mutual ground. With these young brilliant minds no longer here, I sometimes feel isolated and alone. Thank the Deities for the internet which allows us to stay in touch and occasionally have those deep meaningful conversations again.

So I send shout-outs to Mike, who is now a Friggin’ PHD in Edmonton. I love you my Brother, and your beautiful wife too. To Bobbi, who is closest geographically, in Dartmouth, letting old dogs teach her new tricks as it were. I will never forget the night of February 14, 1997, when you kept me laughing for hours and then held me when I could no longer hold back the tears. I love you with a grateful heart. Kevin, the funny one; you made us ALL laugh and found ways to point out the absurdity of taking things too seriously. I am happy your new life in Japan is rewarding and fulfilling. Together with your lovely wife and incredibly cute little son, I know you will continue to see the lighter side of the Human existence. Finally, to Tony, the Departed one... Your curiosity, wisdom, and incredible capacity to embrace life showed us all that life is indeed to be embraced for in the end it is all too short. Rest in Peace Tony; we love you still. Om, Shanti, Shanti, Shanti...

I love all of you for the friendship you have given me and allowed me to return to you.

~Still Wandering…

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this one my friend. It was touching. When I read that last paragraph I actually cried a little. I miss you guys and our times together. I miss Tony as well.

    This post inspired me to write one about friendship as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kevin! I read your blog, and must admit, I wouldn't be able to live that far from my family. Even if I had a family of my own.

    For any readers who choose to see Kevin's blog, please go to this link: http://kobekevin.blogspot.com/2011/02/is-expat-life-lonely-one.html

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to comment on anything you see here, I'd love to hear from you. Please feel free to let me know what you think.