Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wandering into Like, ... Total Awesomeness, Dude!

Originally posted Wednesday, July 16, 2008

As I mentioned in a previous blog entry, our words have great meaning. Words cause vibration through sound, but the sounds they produce also cause vibrations of a different kind.

When we say certain words, their meaning is released into the Universe in vibratory energy. As this energy travels, its meaning is manifested and brought back to us in that manifestation.


However, when we over-use words, particularly very descriptive words, they begin to weaken in meaning. Today, everything is “awesome.” But is it? Is everything we see or experience really worthy of Awe? Awe, for those of you who don’t know, is described in the Merriam-Webster dictionary as “inspiring a feeling of reverence, fear and wonder.” So can a skateboard or a guitar really inspire feelings of reverence, fear and wonder? Wonder, perhaps, but I doubt reverence and/or fear apply.

Using words to create irony is nothing new, but again, when overused, they begin to take on their original meaning. Like Awesome, wicked is one of these over-used words. Wicked means “evil or morally bad,” but used in an ironic manner it would mean “great.” But, again, it is over-used and becoming meaningless both as irony and in its original meaning.

The teachings of Buddhism, ask that we practice Right Speech, which means to abstain from false speech, especially avoiding lies and deceitful speech. We are asked to abstain from slanderous speech and to not use words maliciously against others, and to abstain from harsh words that offend or hurt others. Further, we are asked to abstain from idle chatter that lacks purpose or depth.

It is also my opinion that we should reserve some words for “special occasions,” times when they will have the greatest effect. Those of you who know me personally know I spent many years playing music in a number of bands. Musicians are not the greatest at displaying discretion in their speech. What I mean by that is that I have a vocabulary that would cause a sailor to blush. While I am pursuing a more spiritual path in life, I still find my language is that of a musician. Out of habit and non-mindfulness, I find myself using words that create negative vibrations in the universe. Using such words in everyday speech gives them no meaning.

But I’m not ready to stop calling my best friend the “biggest f#*%ing pile of Ugly I ever saw.” If I were to avoid such speech with him, he’d most likely have me visit a hospital to make sure I’m not ill!

~Still Wandering...

2 comments:

  1. Our words have power. I have cleaned up my vocabulary to an extent. Once in a while, the c word or the f word may creep out, but looking back, when I haved used those words, I feel a sense of regret. I do believe it permeates into the universe with negative consequences. I also feel that using bad language in a way gives away our power. I mean if it's done in anger. The person we tell off knows they had the power to take away our joy and peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, especially with your last sentence. I often struggle with my thoughts too. The things we think, as energy-based vibrations, can have consequences as well. Certainly, if some people knew what I was thinking, I'd be getting a slap! ;-)

    Have a good trip. I'll talk with you when you get back.

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to comment on anything you see here, I'd love to hear from you. Please feel free to let me know what you think.